The Birmingham Health Partners Starter Fellowships
Applications for the 2018 round are now Closed
Are you a clinician interested in translational research? Would you like to undertake a PhD or MD but need the skills and experience to make the first step? Do you have an idea for a research project but need funding to develop an application for a competitive fellowship?
The Birmingham Health Partners (BHP) is proud to be offering a fellowship scheme designed to provide the launch pad for a clinician interested in translational research.
These one year fellowships are funded through the kind support of the following:
- Metchley Park Medical Society
- University of Birmingham
- NIHR Birmingham Biomedical Research Centre
During the fellowship, applicants are expected to undertake the necessary pilot and preparatory work required to apply to research funding bodies for a further two or three years to allow the successful completion of the project, acquisition of a MD or PhD and progression towards a clinical academic career.
What will the fellowship offer?
- The fellowships will provide one year’s salary cost which is expected to be undertaken full-time
- Successful completion of one year’s research will result in award of a Masters by Research
- You will gain full access to the University of Birmingham (UoB), University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) and Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust (BWCH) education facilities
Who can apply?
All applicants must:
- Be in possession of a clinical qualification
- If in possession of a medical qualification, must also have a postgraduate qualification such as the MRCP or equivalent. A National Training Number is desirable
- Not have previously occupied an academic clinical fellow post
- Have identified an area of research and a supervisor who must be a consultant or scientist within Birmingham Health Partners
- Have the full support of the clinical supervisor/manager to undertake the 1 year fellowship
- Have agreement from the supervisor/manager to cover the necessary consumable costs of the project to be undertaken during the fellowship
- Have clear plans for the provision of further funding with specific funding streams (fellowships, project grants) identified
We would particularly encourage applications with a focus on:
- Applied Health Research
- Joint and related inflammatory disease
- Imaging and Oncology
- Translational research
How do I apply?
The deadline for all applications is Monday 5th November 2018.
You will need to complete the following steps:
- Complete the application form (available from the “Downloads” section at the bottom of this page). Word limits must be strictly observed, applications exceeding word limits will be rejected without being read. No appendices or supporting documents will be accepted
- Provide a two page CV of the applicant using the template in the “Downloads” section at the bottom of this page
- Provide a two page CV of the supervisor
- Submit all of the above to BHPfellowships@contacts.bham.ac.uk
Where can I find out more?
For further information please email Professor Lorraine Harper at email@example.com
Read Anna’s experience of her BHP Fellowship