The 2017 Scheme is now open for applications
Are you a junior doctor interested in translational research? Would you like to undertake a PhD or MD but need the skills and experience to make the first step? Do you have an idea for a research project but need funding to develop an application for a competitive fellowship?
The Birmingham Health Partners (BHP) is proud to be offering a fellowship scheme designed to provide the launch pad for a junior doctor interested in translational research.
These one year fellowships are funded by the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham Charity, Metchley Park Medical Society and University of Birmingham.
During the fellowship, the applicant is expected to undertake the necessary pilot and preparatory work required to apply to research funding bodies for a further two or three years to allow the successful completion of the project, acquisition of a MD or PhD and progression towards a clinical academic career.
What will the fellowship offer?
- The fellowships will provide one year’s salary cost of a junior doctor
- Successful completion of one year’s research will result in award of a Masters by Research
- You will gain full access to the University of Birmingham (UoB), University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) and Birmingham Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (BCH) education facilities
Who can apply?
All applicants must:
- Be in possession of a basic medical qualification and postgraduate qualification such as the MRCP or equivalent. A National Training Number is desirable
- Not have previously occupied an academic clinical fellow post
- Have identified an area of research and a supervisor who must be a consultant or scientist within Birmingham Health Partners
- Have agreement from the proposed supervisor to cover the necessary consumable costs of the project to be undertaken during the fellowship
- Have clear plans for the provision of further funding with specific funding streams (fellowships, project grants) identified
How do I apply?
The deadline for all applications for this round is Monday 6th November 2017.
You will need to complete the following steps
- Complete the application form (available from the ‘Downloads’ section at the bottom of this page). Word limits must be strictly observed, applications exceeding word limits will be rejected without being read. No appendices or supporting documents will be accepted
- Provide a two page CV of the applicant (available from the ‘Downloads’ section of this page).
- Provide a two page CV of the supervisor
- Submit all of the above to email@example.com
Where can I find out more?
For further information please email Professor Lorraine Harper at firstname.lastname@example.org